Our daughter Aubrey celebrated her first earthyear on December 2, 2010. She had a nice little family party 2 days later (thanks grandma and grandpa for being so kind as to host and plan the menu). Everyday I look at her, my love always feels so renewed and fresh, and I know you other parents can relate.
Her birth feels like it just happened. I clearly remember when and how I realized I was in labor; the long trek to get to the hospital; and then, the news that she needed surgery on her 3rd day. It was exactly a year ago today, 12/5/10, when we were already in the first night of her recovery. She had needles and IV and all kinds of tubes going through her. It was a heartbreaking sight, but we knew she was going to be OK. I will never forget that whole week when I gave birth to her and when she was in surgery and the following days of recovery. Again, I will always feel indebted to our family for the love and taking care of Gerard while we had to be with Aubrey in the hospital; my friends who gave their support and kept me from feeling alone (granted, it was via text messaging and chats -- I didn't entertain any visitors except for our parents because I wasn't in the mood to be far in thoughts from Aubrey); the wonderful doctors and nurses whose hands we entrusted to save and monitor our babygirl's well-being; our boy Gerard for hanging in there while mama and papa were mostly gone and not spending much time with him for a month (3 weeks before birth, we had moved from an apartment to a house so we were busy packing and cleaning and sending him off with grandparents); and my hubby for being by my side throughout our hospital stay. Even though he had to go to work, he stayed with me and Aubrey in the hospital right after work, but he also made sure that Gerard got to see him everyday by visiting him. It was a personal hell for me to be away from Gerard and not being together for another week after Aubrey was born, but I am very grateful that she was in very good hands.
When we finally went home for good, my chaotic life got even more chaotic with two kids. But I don't ever want it any other way. I hardly ever say it outloud, but my love for my family is deeper than anything I've been in.
0 comments:
Post a Comment