Pages

Friday, December 24, 2010

And here is another Christmas! We didn't have much time to send out cards or put on decorations besides the tree and the Nativity scene. 

While we don't want to push a commercial-hungry season, we did get the kids some toys that we swore off for the most part of this year. We don't buy them toys all the time (or we try not to), but what really is Christmas if we passed on the gifts? Even Jesus got gifts. And well, the underlying meaning of the season is to give... so take note, people: it's ok to give. Just don't go crazy with buying for yourselves even though it's tempting with all the sales out there. The kids are now quite familiar with Santa, but today I explained in the simplest words why there is a Christmas. And I will be doing this for the rest of 2011 so by next year, the kids will associate Jesus more than Santa with Christmas. 

Many will criticize that this holiday is overly-commercialized and so they un-celebrate it by using other terms to greet with. Which is true. But hey, for those of us who know why we're celebrating this holiday in the first place, don't be scared to use the word CHRISTMAS. If you don't want to participate in buying a gift, that's fine. But don't knock those who actually do BUY so they have something to GIVE. I do hate shopping any time of the year, but I buy gifts with meaning or use or would stir a laugh or create genuine happiness; I don't like to buy a gift just to buy something that would be left unopened. And for those who aren't even Christians yet are celebrating the holiday or greeting those of us that celebrate it, that's cool too. But I hope they understand why we have this holiday. If you just want to be a scrooge or a grinch, then that's how you feel.... but can you not spread that around? ;-) I'm not sure what good it does to make people somber. We want to be happy all year long, but since we're not, Christmas is here to hopefully cheer everyone up together. 

With that said, Merry Merry Christmas from our family to yours. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment