Today we had another perinatal progress check appointment. I accompanied Rio after my architecture class and we were rewarded with news that there's no down's syndrome, growth was right on target and they were able to tell us that all major parts of the brain were present. This time they also gave us a special treat! Through the awesomeness of the sonogram, we got to look between baby's legs and, as in the Austin Powers movies, what we saw looked just like a great... big... JOHNSON! WE'RE HAVING A BOY! There went my predictions of having a daughter. HELL YEAH! My boy's a fast swimmer! He sure swam his little nanomotor-powered tail off! We couldn't agree on a boy's name before today. We have 'Gabriel' as a middle name (other kids might call him "GAY-briel" if it was his first name.) 'Ethan' sounds like the person saying it has a lisp. Rio just plainly doesn't like 'Evan.' I said I didn't like 'Thomas' because if he meets a nice girl named Katherine, well, 'TomKat' is out of the question. I thought 'Yuri' wouldn't be a bad name; Yuri Gagarin was the first human in space. But Rio didn't like it, neither did one of her brothers. I guess the Dr Zhivago reference is out. We live in San Francisco, where the bigoted public school district purposely bussed me out of my nice nob hill neighborhood to the latin ghetto mission district where schools are poorly funded because my last name is Hernandez. We also have to think of our boy's future resume, to make sure that we spell names conventionally, to help his resume be more marketable. We won't take a name like Duane and spell it D'Wayne. I really like the movie Cyrano de Bergerac, but Cyrano Hernandez would clearly get thrown in a ghetto public school and his mind would rot from lack of proper funding. But Rio and I both like the name 'Gerard.' So 'Gerard Gabriel Hernandez' is on the table. We're going to have to fight the SF School District very hard to keep him in a school that's receiving proper funding. We have lots of work ahead of us!
Wednesday, November 28, 2007
it looks like a...
Today we had another perinatal progress check appointment. I accompanied Rio after my architecture class and we were rewarded with news that there's no down's syndrome, growth was right on target and they were able to tell us that all major parts of the brain were present. This time they also gave us a special treat! Through the awesomeness of the sonogram, we got to look between baby's legs and, as in the Austin Powers movies, what we saw looked just like a great... big... JOHNSON! WE'RE HAVING A BOY! There went my predictions of having a daughter. HELL YEAH! My boy's a fast swimmer! He sure swam his little nanomotor-powered tail off! We couldn't agree on a boy's name before today. We have 'Gabriel' as a middle name (other kids might call him "GAY-briel" if it was his first name.) 'Ethan' sounds like the person saying it has a lisp. Rio just plainly doesn't like 'Evan.' I said I didn't like 'Thomas' because if he meets a nice girl named Katherine, well, 'TomKat' is out of the question. I thought 'Yuri' wouldn't be a bad name; Yuri Gagarin was the first human in space. But Rio didn't like it, neither did one of her brothers. I guess the Dr Zhivago reference is out. We live in San Francisco, where the bigoted public school district purposely bussed me out of my nice nob hill neighborhood to the latin ghetto mission district where schools are poorly funded because my last name is Hernandez. We also have to think of our boy's future resume, to make sure that we spell names conventionally, to help his resume be more marketable. We won't take a name like Duane and spell it D'Wayne. I really like the movie Cyrano de Bergerac, but Cyrano Hernandez would clearly get thrown in a ghetto public school and his mind would rot from lack of proper funding. But Rio and I both like the name 'Gerard.' So 'Gerard Gabriel Hernandez' is on the table. We're going to have to fight the SF School District very hard to keep him in a school that's receiving proper funding. We have lots of work ahead of us!
0 comments:
Post a Comment