It's paying off!
For a little over a year now, I've been taking Gerard to the library on as many Saturdays as I can for storytelling time. Even though I was pregnant with Aubrey at the time, I made the physical effort to get him ready and stroll the 4 blocks to our neighborhood library. It was worth it. One hour of singing songs, storytelling and playtime with kids his age. I'm very grateful for the San Francisco Public Library for having these programs; it helps those of us working moms who can not do weekday playgroups. Through this free program, Gerard has developed into a social toddler and an interest in books.
In the last few months, we also tried the "Your Baby Can Read" DVD system. We haven't really been consistent with playing the video, but I'm certain this has helped a little bit.
Both methods definitely helped him with his speech. Yesterday, as we were driving down the freeway along side our city rail system, he said outloud "People ride BART train too." That's a 5-word phrase! And it made sense! A few days ago, he was already on a 4-word phrase when he clearly told me "Cat eating food too." He was referring to the backyard cat that hangs out around our house. He recently identified each of us at the dinner table that we were all going somewmhere with him: "Gerard coming. Papa coming. Mama coming. Aubrey coming. Gramma coming. Ma (great-grandma) coming."
And the most amazing development to me is that he's reading by memory. He has a Toy Story book, a title he also watches the movie of regularly (sometimes twice a day). He has all of us reading books to him: he picks out the books, or he requests it by title. Tonight, as I read him Toy Story, I tried a game by letting him finish the sentences. Amazingly, he got all but one word completed as I started each sentence and had him tell me the word I left for him. I realize he memorizes the story but that's what early literacy is about. He knows the story, and it's very helpful that he can help me read the book.
I suggest to every parent to read to their kids every night. Not only will your child value this important skill, but it will truly give you that accomplishment every parent should feel when it comes to their children's development.
Our little girl Aubrey is also showing interest in books. She loves to grab books and also sits around for storytime.
0 comments:
Post a Comment