Pages

Thursday, September 16, 2010

This would have been better written if I had access to this blog earlier today. But well, it was busy at work and I don't blog at work.

As a fairly new mom, I fully understand that now is not the time to think about reactivating my old social life (which really wasn't even that social) due to several factors: I have 2 young kids, most of my friends have moved/settled down, and I can't afford to be out often. But as every mother in my position knows, we all need a little R&R, be it a couple of hours of alone time or just be out of the house not doing anything for parenthood. As it is, I *hate* leaving my kids and I want to do everything with them, but I need to let go for a couple of hours to do them a favor. Being a parent is stressful, and a stressful parent doesn't do a good job.

Just because mom (or dad) wants to go out and do something that connects to the younger self they once were, doesn't mean she regrets her new role! It would be great to watch a movie at the theater every other month. It would be nice to have dinner without worrying if the kids are eating enough. It would be nice to get back to the hobby I put on the shelf as my firstborn came into my life. It would be nice to just take a walk without a diaper bag too. Although I love taking the kids out, I think including them in every bit of my activities doesn't do them any good. And I really wish mothers weren't looked down on for this. We are a new generation of moms, and most of us had mothers who grew up in a totally different world... not to say that their advice doesn't apply anymore (there are staple advices that should always be passed on!) but we also believe that it's OK to leave the kids and do something that still connects us to who we were before the kids!

For me: playing music is what my 20s were dedicated to. I needed a break from it, found parenthood, so I put it all away for a time. But now I am feeling that as soon as my youngest child is at a more independent age, I would love to pick up music again. I just don't want my parents and in-laws to think that I'm abandoning my priorities, because that is absolutely not the case. I just want to be able to have my own thing again, as that would let my kids see a side of me that I hope intrigues them because it is the one thing I did before that I gave up temporarily for them.

0 comments:

Post a Comment